Submissions are currently open for our 43rd issue.
Any present or past student or staff member of the University of Glasgow may submit to From Glasgow to Saturn. We welcome prose, poetry, and hybrid forms.
All work must be previously unpublished, in print or online.
All submissions should fit the following criteria:
- Prose — We accept both fiction and nonfiction of no more than 2,500 words. You may submit one fiction and/or one nonfiction piece at a time. Fiction includes short stories and extracts of longer pieces. Nonfiction includes book reviews, lyrical essays, creative nonfiction, and articles on the craft of creative writing. Please include a brief synopsis if you’re submitting an extract from a longer piece, such as a novel.
- Poetry – You may submit up to 3 poems at a time, with a maximum total length of 120 lines.
- You may make one submission in each of these categories at any one time—that is, one piece of prose fiction and/or up to 3 poems and/or one piece of prose nonfiction.
- Send a separate email to email@example.com for each category in which you are submitting. For example, a short story and three poems should be submitted in two separate emails.
We also accept artwork, including illustrations, graphic art, and photography. This is a fantastic opportunity for emerging artists to publish their work. All artwork needs to be 300 dpi and fit within an A4 sheet of paper.
- Please attach your work in .doc or .docx format only. In the case of concrete poetry or work with a visual element, please attach work as a .doc or .docx with an accompanying PDF file.
- All submissions should be in 12pt text, plain font, with no lapses in spelling or grammar.
- Your submission should not contain your name in the body text, header, or anywhere else within the document. This helps us keep the submission process anonymous.
- Please title your .doc file: LastName_”Title”_Category
In the body of your email, include:
- the title of each piece
- contact details
- a brief third person biography (maximum 100 words)
- details of your affiliation with the University of Glasgow (student or staff, present or alumnus, Faculty or College, dates). Please note that without confirmation of your affiliation to the University, we cannot consider your work for submission.
We will consider simultaneous submissions, but please notify us immediately if your submission is accepted elsewhere.
A note for current students: Please consult with your professor before submitting anything that you intend to use for a marked university assignment. If we publish your work in From Glasgow to Saturn, it may not be eligible for portfolios.
After the submission deadline, we will review all work for publication.
All contributors to From Glasgow to Saturn will receive a complimentary copy of the journal. We are unable to offer additional compensation at this time. Artists and writers will also be invited to our launch party.
Our email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Please contact us with any questions.
Terms and Conditions
By submitting your work to From Glasgow to Saturn you agree to the following:
– From Glasgow to Saturn has permission to publish this work online.
– You will retain the copyright of your work.
– You warrant that you are the owner of the copyright of the work and that it does not libel any other party.
From Glasgow to Saturn reserves the right to edit your submission. Our edits will be minor proofreading changes (punctuation, repetitions, and spelling). If we feel that the submission needs substantial edits other than these, we will consult you first.
When the subsequent issue of From Glasgow to Saturn is published, the issue including your work will be archived electronically at glasgowtosaturn.com.