Submissions are currently closed.
Please check back here or on our social media accounts for news about upcoming submission windows.
Any present or past student or staff member of the University of Glasgow or the Glasgow School of Art may submit to From Glasgow to Saturn. We welcome prose, poetry, creative nonfiction, hybrid forms and visual art.
All work must be previously unpublished, in print or online.
All submissions should fit the following criteria:
- Prose – We accept both fiction and nonfiction of no more than 3,000 words. You may submit multiple short pieces in either fiction or nonfiction so long as the combined word count does not exceed 3,000 words in either category. You may submit to both categories. Fiction includes short stories, flash fiction, and extracts of longer pieces. Nonfiction includes book reviews, lyrical essays, creative nonfiction, articles on the craft of creative writing, or otherwise unclassifiable hybrid works. Please include a brief synopsis if you’re submitting an extract from a longer piece, such as a novel.
- Poetry – You may submit 3-5 poems up to 10 A4 pages. Please submit all poems in one document.
- Visual Art – We also accept artwork, including illustrations, graphic art and photography. You are welcome to submit an image of another form of visual art such as sculpture, conceptual art or performance – however please be aware that the visual image will be the primary way in which your art is represented. You may provide a short description of the work which will accompany the image – no more than 100 words.
- You may make one submission in each of these categories at any one time—that is, one piece of prose fiction and/or up to 5 poems and/or one piece of prose nonfiction and or/one visual artwork.
- Please submit a separate Google Form entry for each category in which you are submitting. For example, a short story and three poems should be submitted in two separate form entries.
- Please upload your work in .doc or .docx format only. In the case of concrete poetry or work with a visual element, please submit work as a .doc or .docx with an accompanying PDF file.
- All text submissions should be in 12pt text, plain font, with no lapses in spelling or grammar.
- All artwork needs to be 300 dpi and be suitable for printing on size A5 pages.
- Your submission should not contain your name in the body text, header, or anywhere else within the document (including the file name). This helps us keep the submission process anonymous.
We ask for the following when you are ready to submit (please have prepared):
- the title of each piece
- contact details
- a brief third person biography (maximum 100 words)
- details of your affiliation with the University of Glasgow or Glasgow School of Art (student or staff, present or alumnus, Faculty or College, dates). Please note that without confirmation of your affiliation to the University, we cannot consider your work for submission.
Please note that our submissions process has recently changed. All submissions must be submitted via the Google Form. Submissions sent to our email address will not be considered.
We will consider simultaneous submissions, but please notify us immediately by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) if your submission is accepted elsewhere.
A note for current students: Please consult with your professor before submitting anything that you intend to use for a marked university assignment. If we publish your work in From Glasgow to Saturn, it may not be eligible for portfolios.
After the submission deadline, we will review all work for publication. We do respond to all submissions. We aim to respond within 2-6 weeks of your submission.
All contributors to From Glasgow to Saturn will receive a complimentary copy of the journal. We are unable to offer additional compensation at this time. Artists and writers will also be invited to our launch party.
Our email address for questions is email@example.com. Please do not send any submissions to this email address.
Terms and Conditions
By submitting your work to From Glasgow to Saturn you agree to the following:
– From Glasgow to Saturn has permission to publish this work online.
– You will retain the copyright of your work.
– You warrant that you are the owner of the copyright of the work and that it does not libel any other party.
From Glasgow to Saturn reserves the right to edit your submission. Our edits will be minor proofreading changes (punctuation, repetitions, and spelling) and formatting to fit for print. If we feel that the submission needs substantial edits other than these, we will consult you first.
From Glasgow to Saturn reserves the right to utilize excerpts of your work on our social media pages for purposes of promoting the journal.
When the subsequent issue of From Glasgow to Saturn is published, the issue including your work will be archived electronically at glasgowtosaturn.com.